What is the Dorna Centre Home for Autism, and why should I donate?
- The Dorna Centre Home for Autism is the only organization of its kind in Kampala, Uganda dealing exclusively with autism. Dorna Centre offers a weekly boarding and day school and many different types of therapy for severe and mild autistic children. Because most of the children’s families cannot afford the fees, Dorna Centre highly discounts the service. As a result, the Centre cannot support itself on its own. These donation programs will help Dorna Centre increase the great work it is doing to accept more children and young people with autism, and continue to provide autistic children with the therapy, education, meals, and care they need.
- There are two problems that autistic children face in Uganda. For one, the poverty of most families does not allow for specialized education and care. Families view help for their autistic child a low priority behind basic needs for the entire family.
- Another issue for children with special needs is that the culture views disabilities as a curse for the parents, an omen representing some type of punishment. Because of this widespread perspective, the children’s needs are highly neglected.
- Majority of our parents are single mothers because their husbands abandoned them in the belief that a child with Autism is a curse. Because of this widespread perspective, the children are left with the mothers who unable to support their needs and they end up being neglected.
By donating to the Dorna Centre you are aiding with the two biggest problems that face autistic children in Uganda. Children who would not be able to receive the services of Dorna Centre will be granted that, and also the importance of caring and loving for every single child, autistic or not, will resound because of your heart in giving.
Your donation counts and will make a huge difference to the lives of our children and community
A. Donate on Our Go Fund Me
B. Donate via Bank transfer
Bank: Absa Bank Uganda
Bank Branch: Ntinda
Account Number: 6004487182
Account Name: Dorna Centre Home for Autism
Swift Code: BARCUGKX
C. Send a Cheque
Please make cheques payable to: “Dorna Centre Home for Autism”
D. Donate via Western Union, Mobile Money, Remittance services: Tel: +256788 726032
D. Or contact Dorothy Nambi at Dorna Centre Home for Autism on: ndorothy2013@gmail to help organise your donation for you.
Below are some of Dorna Centre’s programs you may consider for Donation, Thank you.
1. Sponsor a Child Program
- The cost of therapy, day care, and two meals is $5 per day. Most children’s families cannot afford this and do not bring their children back to The Centre. This is one of the biggest problems facing Dorna Centre. The sponsorship of a child would change the child’s life by providing meals that they may not get outside the Centre, as well as much needed therapy and loving care from the Dorna staff. There are many different ways to sponsor a child other than the flat $5 per day. Options include sponsoring a child’s therapy or their day care fees.
2. Adopt-a-Meal Program
- Dorna Centre provides two meals a day for each child as well as all of the workers and volunteers. The food is a large expense. To sponsor a meal or even an ingredient would allow the Centre to use income on other very important things for the children.
Different things to Adopt:
3. Chicken Croiler Program
Dorna Centre is looking to build and maintain a chicken Croiler on- site. To start, this will cost 2,000,000 shillings, which amounts to $1200. The startup cost includes the chickens and materials to build the coop. The purpose of this program is to:
- Provide sustainable meals for the children and staff
- Provide a form constant stream of income for the Centre
- Teach the children lessons of responsibility
4. Supplies for Dorna
A donation in support of Supplies for Dorna will help ensure The Centre is able to obtain the following items:
1.Leap Frog system, with games for 3-10 years
2.Small Dry Erase Boards
5.Toys for Therapy
6.Resources for Therapists